It is a brand new day! You wake up, ready and fresh for everything the day might bring. Maybe you even prepped the night before for hopping out of bed and heading straight into working out. But the alarm is silenced, and, for whatever reason, you just aren’t feeling it.
Most of us hit these kinds of slumps at one time or another. Maybe our mental health has taken a significant hit in the past few weeks. Or perhaps we have just gotten over a cold, and the usual energy just is not there. Or honestly, you might just be ‘over’ working out. All motivation is gone out the window, and you just don’t know how to get it back.
This lack of motivation does not help, especially not when Americans are recommended to get in at least 150 minutes a week, or about 20 minutes a day, of physical activity. But how exactly can you stay motivated on those hard days? Continue reading for our five tips on staying motivated and, hopefully, getting you over those slump days.
1. Find a Partner – There are two ways having someone alongside you can motivate you when it comes to fitness: competition or motivation. Humans almost always seem to do their best when they have something, or someone, with which they can compete. Even those who are not competitive by nature might feel more inclined to do better, try harder, or even make an attempt at all if they have a bar against which they can compare themselves. On the other hand, having a friend who won’t let you off the hook and who will instead drag you off for a run or to the gym might be highly beneficial as well.
2. Create a Purpose – Exercise for its own sake is necessary to our overall health, but not having an actual reason for working out makes it harder for many of us to find motivation on more challenging days. We have found it helps to write down the goals we wish to reach and post them somewhere we can see them frequently throughout the day. Those constant reminders may be that extra push you need to get you into an activity-focused mindset.
3. Try Rewarding Yourself – Who does not like rewards? One of the easiest ways to motivate ourselves is to have a prize at the end. You could choose a trip somewhere new for reaching a certain number of days or weeks you worked out in a row or buy yourself new workout gear for hitting a weight loss goal. Keeping track of smaller or larger goals, each with equivalent rewards, could spur you on since you want to do and buy those things for yourself.
4. Make Exercise Fun – Physical fitness does not have to be going to the gym and pumping weights for an hour or two. You can get just as much of a workout biking down a new trail, going outside and playing catch with the kids or your dog, swimming, or doing just about anything that gets you up and moving. If you just don’t have the energy or the enthusiasm to get into your regular workout routine, try switching it up a little and introduce something fun, new, and exciting instead.
5. Double Up On Your Time – Many of us find that exercising also means taking time away from doing other things we enjoy, such as reading a book or spending time with friends. But this does not have to be the case! Another easy way to stay motivated is to double your exercise time with something else you enjoy. Listen to an audiobook, put your favorite songs on loop, or get your partner involved in your activity. Doubling up this way ties into a strategy called “temptation building,” essentially coupling activities with other sorts of engagement to make us more inclined to do the thing we least want to do.
In the end, every new day brings a unique chance to start fresh or get back on the wagon, depending on your situation. The best and easiest way to stay on top of your physical fitness is to prepare yourself on days you are motivated for those days when you are not. Try to work towards your goals every day, celebrate big and small wins, and stay on track as best you can.
Either way, if you’re looking to get fit, Buzzfit is here to help! Our members get unlimited access to our group classes (schedules vary by location)! Are you interested in trying out Buzzfit for free? Visit our website and sign up for a free trial! As always, if you have any questions, don’t be shy to reach out!